zaterdag 1 oktober 2011

Jennifer Estep – Spider’s Revenge

The fifth book in the Elemental Assassin series, published September 2011.

Spider's Revenge

Old habits die hard for assassins.
And I plan on murdering someone before the night is through.
Killing used to be my regular gig, after all. Gin Blanco, aka the Spider, assassin-for-hire. And I was very, very good at it. Now, I'm ready to make the one hit that truly matters: Mab Monroe, the dangerous Fire elemental who murdered my family when I was thirteen. Oh, I don't think the mission will be easy, but turns out it's a bit more problematic than expected. The bitch knows I'm coming for her. So now I'm up against the army of lethal bounty hunters Mab hired to track me down. She also put a price on my baby sister's head. Keeping Bria safe is my first priority. Taking Mab out is a close second. Good thing I've got my powerful Ice and Stone magic - and my irresistible lover, Owen Grayson - to watch my back. This battle has been years in the making, and there's a good chance I won't survive. But if I'm going down, then Mab's coming with me . . . no matter what I have to do to make that happen.


I’ve read a lot of reviews of this book lately, so I guess you all have, and I don’t have to write a long review of it. Which is good, as my bed is calling me. It could have been the perfect book to end the series with, but I am happy to know there will be more. And the things I am curious about, is about Gin’s private life, how things will go between her and Owen, and between Finn and Bria.
I finally found out what happened with Sophia all those years ago, and how JoJo and Sophia met Fletcher and became friends. A good story, and I am so sorry for Sophia.

When Mab finally learns the Spider’s real identity, all her friends are in danger, and they have to flee to a safe house. And there, they stick together, and won’t let Gin face Mab alone, they will have her back. They will help her get her sister back.
It was not easy for Gin to kill Mab, she tried and lost twice, and the third time is the charm, but at a huge price for herself. But crime in Ashland never stops, every crime boss is trying to put himself in Mab’s place, and the streets are red with blood. Whoever will follow in her footsteps, will not necessarily be better than Mab was, perhaps only less insane. So, the Spider’s job will not be over, yet.


I liked this book a lot, it is fast paced from the start. The one thing that keeps bugging me, is the constant repeating of little details. Yes, I know she has 5 knives, and her spider runes are burned into her hands. That her mothers rune is a snowflake, and her other sister Ivy. You don’t have to tell me that multiple times each book, again and again. For the most part, I can read over it, but other times, it irritates me.
But still, Gin is a great character and all her friends and the evil ones are great secondary characters. The one bounty hunter and her student were a nice surprise, especially in the end. Some humanity throughout the evil.

8 stars.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Oh I enjoyed this one. The repetition didn't bother me, but I could see how it could be a bit much. I think my fave part of this book was getting to know more about Sophia. I love that character!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I'm glad you liked this one! I just love all the characters in the series.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen