zaterdag 19 mei 2012

Shannon McKenna – DNF

Shannon McKenna – Behind closed doors
Shannon McKenna – Standing in the shadows
Genre: erotic suspense.

Behind Closed doors

EVERY MOVE YOU MAKE...
Surveillance expert Seth Mackey knows everything about the women that his millionaire boss toys with -- and tosses aside. Raine Cameron is something different. Night after night, Seth watches her on a dozen different video screens. Her vulnerable beauty haunts him and her fresh innocence stirs a white-hot passion that he can barely control. Raine is pure temptation, but Seth has something more important to take care of first. He's convinced that his boss, Victor Lazar, is responsible for his half-brother's murder. He cannot put his secret investigation at risk, but he can't stop wanting her -- craving her -- and soon he knows he can't let Victor have her. For Raine may be Victor's next victim...
EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE
Raine knows she's being watched -- but no one can see the secrets in her heart. She has reasons of her own to seek revenge on Victor Lazar, and she will, despite her fear -- and the distracting presence of Seth Mackey. Though Raine has little experience with men, Seth's fiercely masculine good looks and animal sensuality stir her most erotic fantasies when she's alone...and lead her to a bold plan. Offering her body to him, surrendering totally to his ruthless desire might well push her beyond all emotional limits -- and beyond fear itself.

Standing in the shadows

Ex-FBI agent Connor McCloud can never forget the day he was set up to die at the hands of trusted friend and fellow agent Ed Riggs. Hard justice and loyalty to his badge have cost Connor what he wants most--Ed's shy, studious daughter, Erin. He can never have her now, but her beauty still haunts and torments his every waking hour and his most fevered erotic dreeams. But now that his old enemy, Kurt Novak has returned, Connor is prepared to do anything to protect the vulnerable young woman from a killer who has vowed a brutal payback . . . a killer with a predator's lethal patience.
Erin has been harboring secret fantasies about Connor McCloud since she first laid eyes on him--but that was before his testimony sent her father to jail. Her world is falling apart and it's all she can do to hold her family together. But now Connor is knocking on her door, telling her she needs his protection, whether she wants it or not. He won't give up and he won't stay away. He's sworn to guard her life with his own and his fierce protectiveness awakens long-buried feelings--and a fiery sexuality deep within her soul . .



As I wrote in my post about the Love Letter Convention on Tuesday, Shannon McKenna is one of the authors I am going to meet. So I wanted to read one of her books. Unfortunately, her books are not meant for me. The first book I could not get past the first few chapters. That Seth is despicable. And stupid not to see what is in front of him.
The second book started out more to my liking, and I kept soldiering on, until almost half way through. Then I just could not take anymore. If I would rip out the pages without sex, fantasizing about having sex, talking about sex, there would perhaps be 10 pages left. Even the suspense parts were drowned out by lust. And I just could not like the characters. Connor totally domineers Erin, and tried to sabotage her career. I hated him for that. And Erin blows up, and Connor smiles or kisses her or whatever, and all is right again. So no, I just could not continue.

But, I have some Dutch blogger friends, who absolutely love these books. So do not let my DNF prevent you from reading this author. I really am not into erotica books and you might love them as well.

And I still will be meeting Shannon McKenna at the convention, and I will have her sign one of my books. But perhaps I will try to find them a new home with someone who will read and enjoy them. The books are large paperback, and I have 5 of the first 6 books (missing nr 3), and as I bought them secondhand, they are plastified (geplastificeerd), and still looking good. But, well, cost of postage will have to be taken into consideration here. If I have a Dutch reader who wants them, please let me know in the comments.



Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

© 2012 Reviews by Aurian


4 opmerkingen:

  1. Don't you just hate it when a book doesn't live up to your expectations? I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy these books.

    Have fun at the convention!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Oh pooh :/ I do hate when that happens but that is the life of a booklover. We never know

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. That's a pity. I will be reading her "Tasting fear" for my Berlin Reading Challenge. I'll be letting you know how I liked it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. @Mirjam: I was afraid it was too much sex for me, as these books are advertised as erotic suspense. But I really did not like the writing either, nor the characters.
    @Blodeuedd: I don't often have DNF books, as I mostly read authors I already love and follow.
    @Maia: You can have them if you like them :) want one for having it signed?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen